Victoria Park is one of Cardiff’s best-loved traditional parks. Opened in 1897 , the park is situated in the western suburb of Canton. Its colourful flower borders and wide range of facilities continue to have year-round appeal for all ages.
The park was one of the first in the UK to receive a restoration grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 1995.
Victoria Park is one of the city’s Green Flag parks .
- Grade 2 listed historic park: Listed on the Cadw Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales.
- Cast iron bandstand: Original installed February 1897, recast replica installed in 1996.
- Cast iron fountain canopy: Presented by I. Samuel Esq. in memory of his parents and brother, Louis Samuel, MP in 1908, this is one of several presented for parks between 1907 and 1915. The canopy was restored and relocated to its current position in 1996.
- Billy the seal sculpture: Bronze sculpture created in 1997 by artist David Petersen, recalling the Victoria Park Zoo and the park’s most famous resident.
- Children’s playground catering for children up to the age of around 12
- Children’s splash play area: Seasonal opening – see below for details
- Beach volley ball club
- Multi use games area: open all year round – no charges
- Refreshment kiosk Open throughout the year
- Tennis courts: open all year round – no charges
- Public toilets and baby changing facilities: located near to children’s playground
The Splashpad in Victoria Park has 33 exciting features for children to enjoy and is on the site of the park’s paddling pool which it upgrades. Features include
- a tipping water bucket,
- a tunnel.
These are spread across three zones designed for:
All included within the beautiful setting of the grade 2 listed park.
The Splashpad has been designed and constructed by experts at Ustigate Waterplay Ltd. and will increase accessibility and enjoyment for children of all ages.
|Term time or school holiday||Open||Close|
|Week days (term time)||12pm||7pm|
|Week days (school holidays)||10am||7pm|
The park is open from 7.30am – 30 mins before sunset all year round.
Parking: No dedicated car park – on road parking available in surrounding streets.
|Access point||GPS (latitude / longitude)|
|Main entrance (Victoria Park Road East – also for deliveries)||51.486082, -3.216633|
|East gate (Victoria Park Road East)||51.484284, -3.217405|
|South east gate (Cowbridge Road East)||51.482902, -3.217564|
|West gate (Victoria Park Road West)||51.484353, -3.219916|
|South west gate (Cowbridge Road East)||51.483145, -3.219026|
|North west gate (Thompsons Avenue)||51.486204, -3.220584|