Benefits of walking
Regular walking at a brisk pace can help people feel better in many ways:
It’s friendly and sociable.
It’s free, frequent and fun.
It can help you lose weight.
It can help you improve your general health.
It can help people get out and mix with other local people.
Did you know that a regular brisk walk of 30 minutes on five days of the week or more, can improve people’s health in many ways?!
Some Tips For Getting Started
- Consult your doctor if you have any concerns about your health.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Walk with a friend or find your local Walking for Health group.
- Note your progress: for example, see how much easier it is to climb the stairs
- Try new places to walk.
You Can Build Walking Into Everyday Life By:
- Using the stairs instead of taking the lift.
- Walking the dog.
- Getting out for some fresh air at lunchtime.
- Walking the children to and from school.
- Getting off the bus a stop earlier.
- Walking to get the paper or to post a letter.
- Parking a little way off from where you are going.
- Taking a family stroll to switch off and socialise.