Reasons to Walk
- Walking makes you feel good because it gives you more energy, improves your mood and increases confidence and stamina.
- Walking reduces stress, helping you relax and sleep better!
- Walking improves your physical health by strengthening your heart, your bones and your muscles, whilst also helping to reduce high blood pressure and improve your heart and lung circulation. Walking can help to control your weight and assist in the prevention and control of diabetes.
- Walking gives you a chance to meet other people and it can help you feel part of your community.
- Walking can be done by almost anyone and needs no special kit.
- You should aim for 30 minutes of brisk walking on most days of the week.
- Walking is free and can be done anywhere at anytime.
Ways to get walking
- Walk the dog.
- Walk the children to and from school.
- Take a family stroll to “switch off” and socialise.
- Walk to get the paper or to post a letter.
5 Quick Tips to get ready for your walk
- Consult your doctor if you have any concerns about your health.
- Wear a good pair of shoes which are comfortable, provide good support and don’t cause blisters.
- Wear loose fitting clothing allows you to move more freely and layer up so that you can alter your layers according to the weather conditions.
- As we are in Wales, you never know what the weather might bring, so be prepared for rain or shine!
- Bring a drink and a snack so you can stay hydrated and keep your energy up along the way.